Wednesday 9 November 2016

Because I Need Vent

I had somehow convinced myself that the rise in sexism and racism I had seen on social media was simply the death throes of a mindset finally realising they were being left behind by the changing world around them.

But that's the key part - "left behind." Those people are scared. Scared of what's different from them, no doubt. But also scared that their own narrow-minded bigoted views no longer grant them the power and security they once did. And so those people have lashed out. Against women, against people of colour, against the gay/trans community, against the "liberal elite." Lashed out against the world, because they are angry, scared people who can only alleviate their anger and fear by inflicting it others - especially if they deem those others to be somehow 'less than.'

I am not American, so I had no say in this Presidential election, but the reminders of the Brexit vote were clear, and I had a nagging feeling for a while that Trump might win. I take no joy in that. But I do wonder how many people - especially straight, white male liberals like me - had convinced themselves that those violent misogynists you see online couldn't possibly represent a majority. Surely any sensible person doesn't think that way? Same for racists, right? I mean, seems like more people than ever are speaking out against bigotry when they see it, right? Things are getting BETTER, right?

I know nothing.

Even though I couldn't vote yesterday, it is clear to me now that people like me are exactly the problem. This is NOT the death throes of an outdated way of thinking. This is its terrible rebirth. As liberals we are often secure - even smug - in our righteousness. We are the smart ones, the sensible ones, the 'right-thinking' ones. We are welcoming and inclusive.

We are the Good Ones. We are the Better Ones.

Well they sure showed us, didn't they? I don't know about you, but I don't feel so very smart and sensible this morning. If anything, I feel guilty. Because we - we smart, sensible free-thinkers - allowed this to happen right under our noses. I'm not even sure I can articulate why. As the title says, I just felt compelled to vent this morning; I'm just trying to make sense of this, as many others are. I don't know where we go from here. All I do know is that the left-wing/liberal movement needs to seriously re-evaluate its priorities and its way of doing things.  Because things are not getting better; we are not progressing.

If the first step to solving a problem is acknowledging it, then surely all liberals must acknowledge this: Things are getting worse. They have been getting worse for some time. We took our eye off the ball. Sexism, racism, bigotry... they aren't withering on the vine, waiting to die. They've evolved into something far more insidious and far more dangerous. They moved into the shadows, in the whispered conversations, only showing their true horror when the tip of the iceberg broke through on social media. But now they have a mandate to move freely once again. We not only stopped being vigilant, we became complacent and dismissive. We turned it into a fucking punchline!

Now we pay the price.

Things are getting worse. If it truly is "darkest before the dawn," then shit is about to get really fucking DARK.

It's time to re-group, re-focus, and look out for one another.

Good luck. Time to get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment